Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:16:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, jfieber@indiana.edu, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Greg Lehey wrote:
> > touch-typist.  That's why I'm still holding on to my dying Northgate
> > keyboards, which have the F keys on the left, where I can access them
> > without looking.  Why did they ever move them away to where you can't
> > find them?
>
> 'cause fewer and fewer people know how to use a keyboard.

What!?  Those F keys are much easier to hit when their up at the top of
the keyboard!

Now, you want to talk about misplaced keys, look at the <backspace>, or
better yet, <scroll-lock>, `~', ``', and <pause> --- they're too far away.
The F keys, however are greatly placed!  Just curl the thumb to hit the
<alt> and extend a finger and you're gone!  By tilting one's left hand to
the left, you can even hit <ctrl> at the same time!  I love it!

OTOH, I suppose if your fingers are less than 10cm each (that's 4 inches
for all the Americans here :) it could be a little harder... ;)

To be fair, I suppose the last time I did try the `F' keys on the left I
was about 10 (years)....  However, trying to hit virtual F keys on the
left must be a pretty good approximation... :)

Ahh....  The days when the mouse sold with your computer still had three
buttons...

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk