Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:11:16 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Out of buffer space' problem

Tim Pushor wrote:
> Wes Peters ranted:
> > Tim Pushor wrote:
> > >
> > > I work for a rather large organization and have convinced management to
> > > replace our aging AIX SMTP relays/DNS servers with Compaq Servers running
> > > FreeBSD. Saturday I had officially turned off our old AIX boxes and were
> > > running on pure FreeBSD boxes.
> > >
> > > On the first full day of production, half way through (today) one of the
> > > boxes that the companies primary DNS was running on stopped responding. The
> > > error I was getting was 'out of buffer space'.
> > >
> > > I am now in Panic mode, as I am the one responsible for reccomending this
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Can anyone out there help me track the problem down? I know there can be
> > > several factors involved, but I *really* have to get this one licked rather
> > > quickly.
> >
> > Sure, but you'll need to provide some useful information about your systems.
> > What version of FreeBSD and BIND are you running?  What is the configuration
> > of your machine -- CPU(s), memory, and network cards certainly.  Have you
> > compiled a custom kernel for the machine; if so include the kernel config
> > file you're using.  If not, the problem is simple to diagnose: you need
> > more network buffer space to handle the load.  The simplest way to do this
> > is to increase the "maxusers" figure in the configuration until the problem
> > stops.  If you're running the 3.2-RELEASE generic kernel, raise maxusers to
> > 64 and try again.
> >
> > Please, post more information so we can help you.  We don't want you to (and
> > us by reference) to get embarrased on this.  ;^)
>
> I'm sorry for not providing enough information, I am in panic mode here.
> Thanks for listening to me ;-) I *really* hope someone can help..

OK, now we're getting somewhere.  A quick point, though: until you've
gotten a solution, keep mailing to the lists as well.  I'm not necessarily
the configuration expert, so we'll want to get lots of eyeballs on this.
I've forwarded your reply and my observations to the original lists,
which were probably a good starting place.

> Hardware:
>
> Compaq Proliant 1600 PII-450 W/512M RAM, Integrated NCR SCSI, one 4G Wide
> SCSI disk, Integrated ThunderLAN 10/100 NIC

That should be sufficient for a DNS server.

> Software:
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE
> Stock named (4.9.4?)
> Maxusers 256 (so NMBclusters should be 4608)

A reasonable starting point.

> Config file:
> ** BTW this is not really GENERIC

So change the comments, like:

> #
  # SHLRELAY, created dd/mm/yyyy from:
> [...]
> #
> #       $Id: GENERIC,v 1.77.2.28 1998/09/26 17:36:14 wpaul Exp $
> machine         "i386"
> cpu             "I586_CPU"
> cpu             "I686_CPU"
> ident           SHLRELAY
> maxusers        256
> options         INET                    #InterNETworking
> options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
> options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
> options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
> THIS!]
> options         SCSI_DELAY=15           #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
> device
> options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
> options         IPFIREWALL
> options         "MAXMEM=(512*1024)"
> options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
> config          kernel  root on wd0
> controller      isa0
> #controller     eisa0
> controller      pci0
> controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
> disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
> disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
> options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
> controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
> controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> device          wcd0            #IDE CD-ROM
> # A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc, amd) is
> # sufficient for any number of installed devices.
> controller      ncr0
> controller      scbus0
> device          sd0
> device          st0
> device          cd0     #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows
> # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
> device          sc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
> # Mandatory, don't remove
> device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" flags 0x1 irq 13 vector
> npxintr
> device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
> device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
> device          lpt0    at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
> device tl0
> pseudo-device   loop
> pseudo-device   ether
> pseudo-device   log
> pseudo-device   vn      4
> pseudo-device   tun     4
> pseudo-device   pty     32
> pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's
> pseudo-device   bpfilter 4
> # This provides support for System V shared memory.

I don't see anything obviously wrong here, either.  Send the output of both
netstat -m and netstat -s, so we can see what's going on in the network stack.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com