Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2014 12:04:34 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        port-mngr@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, doceng@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [WIP]: Splitting up the porters handbook

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 09:47:09 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So - today I spent a few moments (and a few for loops) splitting
> > up the porters-handbook into several sections.  Here is the WIP
> > patch:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~trhodes/NEW-PH.diff
> >
> > Please note it DOES NOT BUILD just yet.  Before I actually go
> > through the trouble of finishing this, is there going to be
> > a lot of push back?  Can I continue and commit (a version that
> > builds of course) and then the team can work together to polish
> > off the rough edges with me or should I just not bother?  Thanks,
> >
> > I'm going to not work on this anymore today while I wait for
> > feedback - if it's generally positive, I'll try to finish it
> > up tonight/tomorrow morning and start the commits.  Cheers,
>
> Can't speak for others, but I agree.  It's something that has needed to
> be done for a while now.  Based on experience from the Handbook, I
> suggest fixing the titles in the sections that will become chapters,
> then using those actual titles for the chapter directory names.  With
> the Handbook, the names don't match and it is difficult to find
> sections for editing.
>
> So:
>
> The title of "Making a New Port Yourself" becomes "Making a New Port"
> (or "Creating a New Port"), and then the chapter directory is
> making-a-new-port, or creating-a-new-port.  The length of these is not
> as critical as making them consistent with the title.
>
> "Testing Your Port" becomes "Testing the Port".
> "Upgrading an Individual Port" becomes "Upgrading a Port".
> "Ports Security" becomes just "Security".
>
> The chapter entries in SRCS should be in the order they appear in the
> book.

All good points - thanks!  I'll put that in the list of things
to do before commit.  Most of what I did was automated, from
creating a Makefile template to using csplit to divide up the
chapters.  The more manual stuff, things I can't do in a few
moments, well, that's waiting for feedback.  I'll wait for
more and then continue, cheers!

--
Tom Rhodes