Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:14:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, dfr@nlsystems.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, jwd@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot.flp doesn't

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > Wait a moment. If we really want to go this way, why don't put the whole
> > > bunch of modules on a second floppy, and cut down the kernel size by half?
> >
> > That was the plan.  NFS is a good start.  Ideally, we should leave a
> > little room on the first floppy so that people can customise it to
> > avoid needing two floppies...
>
> When you say "customizing", do you mean that they be able to put required
> modules on the first floppy? This IMHO would beg for a sysinstall submenu
> - I'm not sure how many (l)users would be comfortable with mount, cp, rm
> etc...

Only as a "wizard" facility, so that people with eg. lots of NFS
installs to do could copy the NFS .ko module onto the first floppy to
avoid floppy-swapping.  You might do this by putting the cd9660 .ko on
the first floppy, and allowing people to nuke it to make space.

This still needs lots of thought, obviously, but it seems to be the
only way we can go.  I wonder if Justin would be up to turning CAM into
a set of KLD modules?