Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:51:36 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

At 10:42 2/21/2001 +0000, Mark Drayton wrote:
>What sort of logging should I expect from cvsup -g -L 2? I get 'added
>delta' etc for the ports, but only 'Updating collection src-all/cvs' for
>stable. Is this correct? I'd like a list of changed files each time I
>cvsup.

Haven't looked at that myself, but I'm sure there is a way.. I get the same
results with -L 2 however.. The difference here is that in the ports
collection, it's downloading patches and diffs to the pre-packaged ports
distributions, which come from 3rd parties a lot of the time.  The src-all
collection is created and maintained by the project however, so (I think)
it's more likely that you're just downloading the updated files, and not
downloading diffs of existing files.  If the files in cvs are more recent
than those on your system, yours are replaced instead of patched.

If there is no easy way to do this with cvsup, then you could just get a
directory list to a file before and after you cvsup, and then diff the files.

>As a matter of interest, how does everyone else run cvsup from cron? I'm
>using:

Two things differently from what you're doing..

First, I put all my cvsup commands in one file, so I don't need to run it
multiple times on different scripts..

Second, I don't mess with cron.. why clutter up your crontab when you have
/etc/periodic/* at your disposal?

I just stick a script in /etc/periodic/weekly and it does the cvsup, then a
success-dependant buildworld, installworld, buildkernel, and installkernel
in that order.  If all goes according to plan, then it reboots.. I
intervene if something comes across the list stating that something is
broken, of course. ;)