Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:33:11 -0400
From:      Chad C <chad@psys.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic while detecting cpu in FreeBSD 9

On 4/18/2012 6:34 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> So your other core failed to start. You might try a lack posting exact
> model/bios version of the machine and mainboard. But indeed, this is
> most often BIOS bugs. Sometimes in the strange areas like USB, e.g.
> SMI handler for emulating legacy PS/2 keyboard. As a shot in the dark,
> try to fiddle with this setting.

Not exactly sure what you mean by lack, but if you want the mainboard
info I can give that.  It is an MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) using BIOS version
1.I (release date 2012-01-12).  Manufacturer's page for this mainboard
is at http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65--B3-.html

I am thinking you are right about the BIOS issue. Unfortunately I didn't
see any BIOS options about legacy PS/2 support only legacy USB. But
turning legacy USB off didn't have any effect.  There is a whole section
for overclocking the processor and memory.  Wondering if there is a
setting in there causing problems.  Right now I have the overclocking
options set at the defaults so there shouldn't be any overclocking.

Out of curiosity I threw in a Sabayon Linux 8 livedvd to see what would
happen during bootup.  It didn't have any problems that I noticed and
found all four cores.

-Chad