Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's the interest in standard tools rewritten in perl?

I was in the process of adding some flexibility to newsyslog, and decided
to just rewrite the darn thing in perl5.

Essentially I added the ability to datestamp the logfiles, and a couple of
other things.

I can always call it something else (newnewsyslog?), but I was wondering
if FreeBSD Inc would consider utilities that were not written in C?  Seems
like there was some discussion about lack of tools in TCL and Perl, but
I'm not sure about the politics of tool replacement, as opposed to tool
addition.

Anyway, just curious.