Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:32:18 -0400
From:      Ed Vander Bush <ed@42interactive.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About the security issue in NY Times

Since you need an account to view the page and I already have one... Here
is the article

Security Flaw Is Discovered in Several
          Unix Programs

          By SARA ROBINSON

               SAN FRANCISCO -- A leading computer security group is
               reporting a significant rise in potentially dangerous
attacks that
          exploit security holes in programs shipped with the Unix
operating
          system.

          Unix is the most common operating system for servers, the
powerful
          computers that control the flow of data over large networks,
including the
          Internet.

          "We've seen a good number of reports related to thousands of
different
          machines on scores of different sites," said Shawn Hernan, a
member of
          the Computer Emergency Response Team, or CERT, at Carnegie
          Mellon University in Pittsburgh. "This is not like the Melissa
virus, but it's
          a fairly significant event in Internet security." The Melissa
program
          infected about 19 percent of the nation's large corporations in
March.

          The full extent of the damage might not yet be evident -- and may
not be
          for some time -- because the attacks, when successful, give those

          cracking into a network what is known as "root access," basically

          complete control over the server. This enables the crackers, as
such
          intruders are known, not only to wreak immediate havoc with
networks
          but to plant small, hard-to-trace programs that can be set off at
a later
          date.

          Hernan said a wide range of organizations, from small companies
          universities and large corporations, reported being attacked last
week.
          But, citing CERT policy, he declined to name specific companies
or
          organizations.

          Bob Todd, a network engineer for an Internet security company,
said a
          client he would describe only as a "large state or federal
agency" had
          been attacked multiple times both from within the United States
and
          abroad. He said he had heard that at least half a dozen other
government
          agencies had also been hit.

          While the attacks did some mischief, like altering Web pages,
Todd said
          he had not seen any serious damage so far.

          Todd's company, Advanced Research Corp. in Vienna, Va., was
          apparently the first to report the attacks in a posting on
Bugtraq, an
          Internet security mailing list. Later, explicit instructions for
exploiting the
          newest of the security holes were also posted to Bugtraq; Todd
said his
          company was not responsible for that posting.

          Internet Entertainment Group in Seattle may also have been hit,
          according to messages posted on security discussion groups on the

          Internet.

          The attacks primarily exploit software that manages an
appointment
          calendar program that is shipped with Unix operating systems from

          makers of powerful servers, including Sun Microsystems Inc. and
          Hewlett-Packard Co. Sun has already released a patch for the
problem,
          and Hewlett-Packard plans to do so soon, according to CERT.

          In addition to the calendar program, the crackers are also
exploiting two
          previously identified Unix bugs. They appear to be using an
automated
          software script that tries to exploit each security hole in turn,
Hernan said.
          He said he based that conclusion on having found similar entries
in the log
          files that servers keep of each transaction on a network and on
seeing
          identical pernicious files on the attacked computers.

          Though patches for the previously identified bugs have been
available for
          some time, many system administrators have not yet applied them.

          "System administrators don't apply patches as quickly as we'd
like,"
          Hernan said. "They have their own priorities, and sometimes
they'll go
          months without fixing" the problems.

          Patching the security holes after an attack cannot repair any
damage
          already done. Of special concern with these attacks is that it is
very
          difficult to determine what has been done since these bugs give
the
          intruder complete control over the affected machine, Hernan said.

          Beyond immediate damage, the crackers can install so-called
Trojan
          horse programs that obscure their activity and can set off
malignant
          processes at a later date. The safest response to such an attack
is to
          erase the hard drive, reinstall the operating system and software
and then
          restore the data from backups that predate the attack -- a very
time
          consuming process.

          The calendar bug involves what is known as a "buffer overflow"
          vulnerability, one of the most common types of software security
holes.
          The attacker pretends to make an entry in the calendar, but the
"entry" is
          really a carefully designed chunk of information that is too
large to fit the
          storage space the program allots for the entry. The overflow
spilling out
          into the computer's main memory consists of software code that
can do
          any number of things but usually grants the cracker root access.

          A university system administrator who asked not to be identified
said his
          network had been attacked, but he said there had been little
damage
          since this particular cracker's clumsy execution caught the
attention of
          system personnel. He said he suspected that the intruder might
have been
          using an attack recipe obtained from someone else.

          "There's a large cracker community out there, and they talk to
each
          other," he said. "These people waste an enormous amount of
resources."