Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:00:39 +0200
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: Are thumpers still interesting in 2011 ? (raidz3 on x4500 @ 3.0gbps ...)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 14:15:22 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: Are thumpers still interesting
in 2011 ? (raidz3 on x4500 @ 3.0gbps ...):

JC> Likewise, Matthew, where did you get 1.5Gbps from?  SATA revision 2 is
JC> 3.0Gbps.  1.5Gbps is SATA revision 1, which isn't on the Sun x4500, nor
JC> is it what the George mentioned to begin with.  The x4500 uses Marvell
JC> 88SX6081 controllers, which are SATA rev 2.  Quoting him:

Thinking about the controllers:
I am still looking for a viable replacement of LSI1068e-based cards for
home-built ZFS servers. This LSI chipset does not support drives larger
than 2TB which has become a serious limitation for me. I read that the
LSI2008 is supposed to be some kind of follow-up, and it should be
supported with recent FreeBSD's mps driver. However, I could not find any
cheap (non-hw-raid) cards with 8 channels (or more) like there are with the
old LSI1068 chipset. Are there any recommendations?

cu
  Gerrit