Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:26:49 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Matt Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, Andreas Hauser <andy@splashground.de>, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, "Devon H.O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Subject:   Re: fontsize and dpi

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk

[redirecting to -chat because this topic isn't -current by a longshot]

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 04:57:26PM -0400, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----=20
> From: "Stijn Hoop" <stijn@win.tue.nl>
> To: "Andreas Hauser" <andy@splashground.de>
> Cc: <freebsd-current@www.freebsd.org>; "Eric Anderson"
> <anderson@centtech.com>; "Devon H.O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>; "Andr=
ew
> Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
> Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 8:40 AM
> Subject: fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)
>=20
> > >
> > > startx -- -dpi 100
> > > better ?
> >
> > Why this isn't already the default is beyond me... Or am I miscalculati=
ng
> > dpi with the standard 1280x1024 17" flatpanel?
> >
> > --Stijn
>=20
> Your calculations appear to be fine.
> Your assumptions that everyone has a display that is equivalent or better
> than a 1280x1024 17" flatpanel, thus making change in the defaults
> reasonable, are very false.

OK, I freely admit that I haven't any clue as to the general
population's resolution. I know that I don't see anything lower than
1280x1024 17" around me, and I'm used to student budgets... But I know
that those sometimes aren't as tight as they appear to be, and there are
of course lots of older CRTs still working perfectly fine.

--Stijn

--=20
The problem is that there are several people in design positions now who
couldn't design the Next Big Thing(TM) unless it involved them taking a
photocopier and someone else's design of The Next Big Thing(TM).
		-- 'Alkaiser' in a post on Slashdot on game originality

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk

--HG+GLK89HZ1zG0kk--