Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 1995 16:08:49 -0900
From:      wallison@ifc.com (Bill Allison)
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail question

>	you can use the default sendmail arguments of FreeBSD (ie -bd
>-q30m) to send out the mail every thirty minutes.  or change -q30m to a
>smaller number to process the queue faster.
>
>	a question to you:  if the data has to arrive within 1-2 hrs,
>does you connection to the other sites allow this?   if you are passing
>mail thru a couple of hosts each queuing for up to 30 minutes you may not
>be able to meet this requirement.

Hmmm...  I am no expert here.  I was planning to use that invocation of
sendmail.  When you talk about passing through other hosts, do you mean
sites on our network, or intermediary sites that are "out there" on the net,
passing mail?

I assumed that sendmail attempted to talk to the addressee's machine, and
when the connection was established, the data passed to the recipient
machine.  Am I confused here?

Also, I have remotely heard of a product called Zmailer.  (someone else
responded with "Ever hear of a product called Zmailer")  I had heard the
name, but know nothing about it.

I was mainly worried about sendmail bringing our system to its knees if we
queued 1,000 50K messages at once...  How does sendmail handle this?  Does
it go sequentially through an alias :include file, processing messages one
at a time, or can it initiate multiple simultaneous connections?

>	i expect to be in seattle later this month.  if i can help you
>out, let me know.

I definitely will.  Thanks for the help.

>jmb
>
>Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.
>						| 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
>play go.					| Arlington, VA 22202
>ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life	| 703-418-2800 x346

William Allison
Ian Freed Consulting, Inc.
Seattle,  WA  98104
Tel:     206.583.8919