Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:23:27 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        71544.1006@compuserve.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't login to root from X

>  I have succesfully booted X by logging into my personal account.
>
>  However, I cannot login to root.
>
>  My root password is NULL.

X uses psuedo-ttys. By default, your the psuedo-tty are not set to be "secure".
If you really want to open up the ability for someone to login into the root
account from a network port, add the word "secure" to the ttypx in
/etc/ttys.

My advice is to log into the account as you and "su" to root. the root
account is not for logging into from either network or console.

--mark.