Date:      09 May 2002 05:04:43 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        void <float@firedrake.org>
Cc:        Anthony.Wyatt@csiro.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 05:42, void wrote:
> FreeBSD is a research project, but it's also a production-quality
> operating system.  It is important that it be "loose" enough to keep
> hackers interested, but it is also important that it be managed carefully
> enough that companies like Yahoo (which employs at least one core team
> member, if I'm not mistaken) can continue to depend on it.
>
> I think that the successful management of the tension between these
> goals has a lot to do with why FreeBSD is so useful and interesting.
> I guess that these conflicting goals also have a lot to do with the
> conflicts within core that Mike alluded to.

I think that's pretty close to the truth of it. The project is torn
between the anarchical desires of those who just want to hack code with
the aim of just having fun by doing cool stuff, and those who see it as
a product and want to impose more management on what happens in order to
protect the integrity of the product from release to release.

Whatever solution the project adopts needs to balance these two desires
somehow or another.

--
Paul Richards                   |  FreeBSD DVD releases and merchandise.
FreeBSD Services Ltd            |  Hardware, support and development.