Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:40:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Watching TV

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Randall Hopper wrote:

> others to improve upon later.  It sets all the channels one-by-one and
> prints the return of the TVTUNER_GETSTATUS to the console.  However, it
> doesn't work at all for me here in the US (all channels, there or not,
> print the same values).
>
> I haven't played with this enough to know if that's the right way to do it,
> or if the appropriate chip functionality is even exported through the
> driver API.

Xmradio uses the GETSTATUS ioctl to detect the signal strength.
Unfortunately, the tuner chip has only 3 bits for that, so all you get
is a value between 0 and 7 and it looks, as if it is even worse.
You can't really depend on the reported values, but it's better
then nothing. Funny thing is, that the windows radio shows
values between 0 and 255, cheating a little bit ;)
(With a Hauppauge WinTV/radio)

> If anyone is interested in working with it, let me know and I'll mail you a
> snapshot.

Oh, please do. I'll have some time this weekend to look into it.

--
Tom