Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:42:48 +0100
From:      "Bart van Leeuwen" <bart@bartsplace.net>
To:        "fmedia" <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   usb audio and a 1 channel input device

Hello,

I have a usb headset (2 channel headphones, 1 channel mic).
The headset is recognized:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xd800 irq 5 kld snd_maestro3 (4p/1r/1v
channels duplex default)
pcm1: <USB Audio> at ? kld snd_uaudio (1p/1r/1v channels duplex)
        mode 1:(output) 2ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000,44100Hz
        mode 1:(input) 1ch, 16/16bit, pcm, 48000,44100Hz

And doing some basic tests suggest that it works.
ie: cat /dev/dsp1 >test, recording something, and then catting the resulting
file to /dev/dsp1 indeed plays back the sound I just recorded.

When trying to use this device with programs like Skype or linphone however I
get the following log message:

pcm1:record:0: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

And neither recording or playback works at all.

Is there anything I can do to get more information on why this is not working,
and more important, is there anything I can do in order to fix this?

Using this device with for example Windows XP strongly suggests that full
duplex is in fact working properly for as far as the hardware goes (and it
would be silly if it didn't, seeing the purpose of such a headset)

regards, Bart van Leeuwen
--
Created with Open WebMail at http://www.bartsplace.net/
Read my weblog at http://soapbox.bartsplace.net/