Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:20:05 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: src/contrib/ntp/readme.y2kfixes

Scott Lambert wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 04:12:46PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
>

>>Karl Agee wrote:
>>

>>>something is **broken** with the above file on the ftp mirros.  I cant
>>>download it via cvsup, anon ftp or http.  it downloads some of it and then
>>>stalls every_time.
>>>

>>If you more the file, it looks like there are several 1000 nulls (at
>>least 1 full screen) at the end.
>>

> Sounds like the time we found a bit pattern that would send the telco's
> atm/frame relay switch port to Mars for several minutes.  I think it was
> a stream of more than X space chars.  We could ping across the link with
> spaces as the ping payload and knock the link down anytime we wanted.
> It still took us a few days to convince the telco.  We were just lucky we
> had three T1s on that link.

Karl and I both use the same ISP. I have a ADSL connection and I think
he is using a modem. I have been using my local cvs-mirror and decided
to try cvsuping from cvsup16. It worked for me. Karl could be on a
different frame-relay. My ISP displays statistics and I have figured
out what links I am on by starting an iso download. I did it early in
the morning when everything was quiet and the traffic on the
connections I use go straight up when I start the transfer and
straight down when I pause the transfer. A traffic delta of 700kb/s is
usually noticeable on my ISP.

FWIW, od claims the nulls start at ~0011413 and stops at 0020000. Even
if the count is in octal, that is a lot of nulls at the end of the
file :). The size of the file is 8192 and I can only count 4875
characters in the text portion of the file. The rest are nulls. I
think it is a messed up file :).

Kent

-
Kent Stewart