Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:02:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        jwlo@ms11.hinet.net, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chinese in JAVA.

> I checked the file font_properties.zh_TW_Big4. I didn't have the fonts listed on
> it.I'm not familiar with JAVA, would you tell me what is XLFD, thanks.

Sorry for getting back to you so late. IIRC, XLFD stands for X Logical Font
Description, that's those long X window font names you see, e.g.
    -adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1
What you need to do is to replace all fonts listed in font_properties.zh_TW_Big5
that are not in your system with the ones you have that have similar size and
characteristics.

I have a fixed up font_properties.zh_GB2312 using fonts from X11 distribution.
I can send it to you if you want. I don't have the Big5 one (I use that less
often as I am from the mainland).

> > BTW, what did you mean by Chinese X server?
>
> Yup!
>
> > Did you mean you have chinese
> > fonts installed or a localized X server? AFAIK, Xlib doesn't even know
> > how to handle BIG5 encodings (it knows GB and CNS).
>
> You would install both chinese X server and chinese fonts on your system, and you
> would seeChinese mails, homepages, or others without any problem.

That sounds really nice. Would you mind telling me who made this product?
A URL to their website would be great. Thanks.

-lq