Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:20:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm going to try being a mirror

> I've decided I'd like to try running a mirror site.  And see how it goes.

does this mean you don't have to pay for incoming traffic like we do :-)

> The make of cvsup-mirror is running as we speak.  I have an ADSL
> connection, and the nearest other site is Australia.  This connection is
> via DHCP, although my IP has not changed in the 6 months I've had the
> service.
>
> Any suggestions, tips, hints, etc will be appreciated.  What hassles can I
> expect?

you can mirror from ftp.au.freebsd.org, but i don't currently support
CVSup for the ftp area (i'll look at making that available, once i
understand cvsup a bit better :-).

there are a couple of other sites that do support CVSup for the ftp
area, and to be accurate, i guess you'd want to run a final mirror
check against ftp.freebsd.org too..

i recommend you put aside at least 10G of disk space if you plan
to mirror the whole freebsd tree.

if you use `mirror' to mirror freebsd, then i recommend you either
have plenty of memory (to deal with perl's memory leakage), or use
algorithm=1 in your mirror config file for freebsd.

you can also use rsync from ftp.au.freebsd.org

lastly, you want to join the various mailing lists as things get
announced that would be relevant to you as a mirror (e.g large
file shifts, new releases)

hassles ?  keeping your mirror up to date, having enough disk
for a full mirror, understanding how to use mirror, rsync, cvsup,
having enough disk space..

cheers,

-jason
--
 jason andrade       dstc pty ltd               jason@dstc.edu.au
 senior sysadmin     level 7, GPS Building 78   i just wanna be