Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:21:18 -0400
From:      Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desired feature: ipfw pass for routed IPs

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:14:01AM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On input packets, it'd be painful and not really practical. On output
> packets, it shouldn't be _too_ bad since the routing information would
> be available.
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand why it would be needed. If there isn't
> a route to send a packet out of an interface, it won't go out of the
> interface. Under what conditions would you see yourself blocking
> packets? Is this really an ackbassward way to filter routes from
> routing daemons?

Sounds like he wants an implementation of unicast reverse path forwarding
(uRPF) loose-mode to prevent source address spoofing of non-announced
space. uRPF is simple, you do a 2nd routing lookup on the src address to
check for a valid return route, either a) with a nexthop to the interface
on which the packet was received, for filtering customers, or b) with a
nexthop to any interface, for inbound on network borders.

Strict-mode is only useful for devices which route, but loose-mode could
potentially be used to reduce the impact of random source DoS attacks
(sounds like something linux would do :P). Unfortunately, the performance
impact of doing radix tree lookups for a full routing table to filter this
way would probably be worse than not filtering at all. While any device
which calls itself a modern router SHOULD have this functionality, I think
there are more important things to fix first. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras