Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 08:16:29 +0200
From:      K.J.Koster@kpn.com
To:        tim_schafer@agship.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

Dear Tim,

> If there is anything I can do to help I would be honored to do so.

You can. :)

> My understanding from earlier posts is that there are some
> legal issues
> with this being an open process.  What if anything could I do
> to become involved at the code level (or any level I might be
> useful) ?

I'm not sure who has and who has not access to the HotSpot sources. In my
understanding, only the compatability tests are limited to Greg, while the
remaining sources are one of Sun's click-though licenses away. Bill, could
you comment?

Nate Williams is the CVS maestro and can give you access to the CVS repo of
this project, once you're in too deep te return. :)

At any rate, you can look up the still-open issues in the various JDK ports.
They range from cosmetics to hard-core, so you should find a level of
difficulty that suits you.

To name one not-so-random example, there are still issues with Java sound in
the native JDK 1.3.1. The person who fixes those goes straight to my hero
list. :-)

    Kees Jan