Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 14:23:38 +0200
From:      "Leonid_Rozenblat" <leonidr@nexus.co.il>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD general questions

Dear all,

My name is Leonid Rozenblat. I live in Israel and I'm a professional
software developer.

I would like to purchase and use a FreeBSD Unix on my home PC. My interests
 will include learning
FreeBSD Unix sources, writing a device drivers and other OS development
related activity.

I'm really a novice to this type of Unix.

So, please, guide me with the following:

1. Which FreeBSD Unix release suits for my machine (if any) (Compaq 5050
Presario) ?

2. Do you have books (CDs) explaining in detail FreeBSD Unix internals,
device drivers development ?
I also need a book (CD) about system installation, administration and
usage.
I want to be capable of writing my own device drivers and kernel extensions
 if possible.

3. May you recommend some books (CDs) about the PC hardware design ? This
is in order to understand
FreeBSD Unix Pentium related source code.

4. Where I may purchase the correspondent CDs, including FreeBSD Unix
sources and documentation ?
Is the www.cheapbytes.com is the proper place (they offer some reduced
prices) ?

5. Should I purchase Linux or FreeBSD Unix for OS learning and driver
development purposes ?
Please, advice me. I guess, FreeBSD code is more structured and
self-explanatory than the Linux one.
Am I right ?

Thank you in advance.

I wish to pay my deep respect and gratitude to all the FreeBSD Development
Community members for this exciting product - FreeBSD Unix.
Thank you very much !

Regards,
Leonid