Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:28:32 +1100
From:      Zero Sum <count@shalimar.net.au>
To:        jmelesky@dynamictrade.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle install revisited

On Tuesday 21 November 2000 03:27, jmelesky@dynamictrade.com wrote:
> > Just a wild guess, but have you USER_LDT set in your kernel?
>
> Good suggestion. Checked it out, and the installer got significantly
> further. However, when the installer runs, it starts spewing "kernel
> trap 9 with interrupts disabled" errors.

USER_LDT is usually only used with WINE.  I would suggest theat perhaps the
code is not a thouroughly tested as most because, until now WINE has been
the only test case.

It appears that you have another.  I would suggest that you research who
the responsible person is and email them directly.  This sort of problem
should not be hard to diagnose (as long as it can be reproduced).

> Looking through the source code, i find that trap 9 is a general
> protection fault. Some searches through the freebsd-questions archive
> turn up a few posts, most related to installs, not running systems.

But you say above 'checked it out, and the installer got significantly
further. However, when the installer runs, it starts spewing "kernel
trap 9 with interrupts disabled" errors'.

So isn't this still an install problem?

> Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to let the sysadmin install RedHat...

Well, I'm not even sure what LDT is, so I can't help further, but I'd get
the sysadmin to hold off, if you can.  Get the attention of the right
person (not me!) and I am sure this will be quickly resolved.

Geoff
--
count@shalimar.net.au