Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:21:30 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        lowell@world.std.com (Lowell Gilbert), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using ssh on Multiple Machines

--==_Exmh_2009433012P

If memory serves me right, "Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> > Just for the record, I think the the ssh man pages are *great.* Very
> > clear, and still fairly concise given the huge amount of material they
> > cover.
> >
> > The basic trick is that you create a .ssh/authorized_keys file
> > containing the ssh keys you want to accept.
>
> Right, and this is where I find things confusing. From the ssh(1)
> manpage,

[snip]

Crist, you stopped reading too soon.  :-)

Take another look at the rest of what Lowell wrote, as well as the manpages
for ssh-agent and ssh-add.  What you'll end up doing is running an instance of
ssh-agent.  You'll authenticate to it using ssh-add exactly ONE time (giving
your passphrase).  After that, you'll be able to ssh and scp to other machines
that have an appropriate authorized_keys file without the need to type a
passphrase again.

The key points here (pun not intended) is that the ssh-agent process holds the
authentication information once you've typed your passphrase, and that other
ssh/scp processes that get started will query ssh-agent to get that
authentication information when they make remote connections.

I agree that the way you're using your RSA key and passphrase right now is
cumbersome.  That's the problem that ssh-agent is designed to solve.

Good luck!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2009433012P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNw59aajOOi0j7CY9AQEjhgP9FNwt6DHEgfqEZo/EAgR9xaiVRvEDt4XX
Wc94H0MifMJ91eCXGSFetWjxqYeaqTpKV6uAFCBwNgkkKhBF1ILdDU+8xTYa/r8P
H3tpXJ3EZgP4Up2VnlWlgnh8b5QW9FD4yyNKG8RF/BYFihBMeWqfEjOdJFsnJ4mQ
VypCf5HSJO8=
=wqxE
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_2009433012P--