Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:32:02 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Jessie" <blujay1@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question

>Ok, I'm not really sure what this FreeBSD is exactly.  (What is it?)
>(In case you're wondering, I got to your page by a link.)  And if it's
>titled FreeBSD, is it free?

FreeBSD is a complete BSD Unix operating system for PC's based on
4.4BSD-Lite.

To this, there are three qualifications:

    -- FreeBSD doesn't have "Unix" in the name because of licensing issues.

    -- The "Lite" doesn't mean it's less-filling and tastes-great, but that
none of the original AT&T Unix code remains in the product.

    -- The "Free" in FreeBSD means the source code is freely available. (Try
getting the source code for Windows!) The good news is that although the
"Free" doesn't mean the OS is available at no charge, it really IS available
at no charge! (But purely by coincidence!)

You will find instructions and links for downloading the system on
http://www.freebsd.org or you can save yourself the download headache and
order the 4 CD-ROM set from Walnut Creek CDROM (http://www.cdrom.com/) for
about
$40.