Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:25:04 +0000
From:      Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: autobridge patch

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:16:05 +1300
Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a patch here that adds the ability to automatically add an interface to a
> bridge when its attached. This is aimed towards apps like qemu or vmware that
> open a tap interface and need it bridged with the network adapter, the user can
> set up a glob for interfaces to be automatically added (eg tap*). It may
> also be useful for Xen dom0 support.
>
> This patch includes a big change to how interfaces are configured in
> userland. Before only physical Ethernet cards were handled by devd,
> now _ALL_ interfaces are (vlans, pflog, pfsync, tap, tun, etc..). This
> has the added bonus that the pseudo interfaces can be configured after
> boottime in rc.conf, ifconfig_xxx="".
>
> Please test this patch, even if you dont use a bridge. Im not in a hurry
> to commit it.

I just rebuild and installed my world and kernel to test the patches.
Seems like things did not work as expected.
The name part of ifconfig_vlan0 left me with renamed but not configured device.
The IP etc of VLAN01 was not set at boot. Am I doning something wrong?

cloned_interfaces="bridge0 vlan0"
ifconfig_sk0="up"
ifconfig_vlan0="name VLAN01 inet 10.137.99.4 vlan 1 vlandev sk0"

Cheers,
Marcin.