Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 13:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ether matching in ipfw??

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > In trying to clean up this bridging stuff, I just realized that
> > ip_fw_chk() contains code for matching Ethernet headers and
> > non IP packets!
> >
> > This hack is just too gross and I plan to rip it out.
> > Call me Danish if you like.
>
> yes it was a gross, and, especially, unfinished hack, and you are
> welcome to rip it out. I should have done it myself long ago.
>
> HOWEVER: for the future re-inclusion I would be a strong advocate
> of a unified firewall interface rather than separate things
> (etherfw, ipfw). The reason is because at times one might want
> to interleave rules matching ethernet headers, ip headers, tcp
> headers, and having separate filters does not support this.

Yes, I think that's a good idea.

Seems like a good approach would be to have separate per-layer
filtering in the kernel implementation, with a nice intuitive
unified userland view.

> > Does the "ip" in "ipfw" not mean anything to anyone??
>
> for what matters we are already matching TCP flags which are
> one layer above IP...

True.. if we did things properly we'd have different filtering
engines at each level.  This would not be too hard to acomplish
using netgraph by providing 'stub' hooks at the appropriate points
in the networking stack. It should all have a nice unified userland
view of course.

-Archie