Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:10:16 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble loading installing on my Aptiva

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 01:05:47PM -0800, David G. Paschich wrote:
> So I just got me a shiny new IBM Aptiva with one of them wacky Athlon
> processors in it, and FreeBSD 3.x won't load on it.
... hmm. I'm running a 'built-by-myself' Athlon machine (K7-700,
Gigabyte-Mainboard, SymbiosLogic SCSI hostadaptor, fxp network)
under -current and -stable without any problems.

Really without any problems? No, .. of course not.
I had to _really_carefully_ select the memory.

Athlon-boards are more then picky about memory.
Just adjust the BIOS-settings concerning the memory-timing to
some conservative values and try again.
If this doesn't help -> swap the memory.

> fault virtual address	= 0x24
> fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc021aef4
> stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc197ce90
> frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc197cea4
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process		= 1 (sysinstall)
> interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault