Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:38:23 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Development strategy

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:17:19 +0300
Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru> wrote:

> I thought all new features must be descussed first and perfected by a
> collective mind. But all my ideas I sent in ports@ have *no* any answer.

Think of it as a quiet agreement.

> As I can see it's better to write a patch (may be draft, may be bad),
> send it and may be it'll be committed some time. If you have only idea
> to discuss, you are not welcome.

Perhaps not everyone has enough time to contribute to this idea. Or
thinks about it as "it would be nice to have, lets see how this
evolves", but isn't interested enough (or is very busy) to actually ask
for it if nobody speaks up.

If you don't get an answer, this doesn't means you aren't welcome. It
also doesn't mean your idea is bad. Maybe your ideas are very good and
nobody thinks he can contribute to them.

As you've seen with the recent commits: yes it's better to write a
patch. If there's a patch this shows someone has interest in it. People
are more responsive if they have something specific to complain about.
;-)

> The same with individual committers. I have a bad experience to send
> them my patches and proposals. I wait for monthes(!) for an answer. And
>   the answer mostly one "I have no time to check it right now". I have
> the experience with four committers. But the most slow is tobez@. He
> think about my proposals (and some patches) for perl system improvements
> for about a half year! I write him periodicaly, but have no answer or
> just "not now" and "later".

send-pr them, if the maintainer doesn't responds or doesn't has time to
look at it, try to find another committer who is willing to look at it.

> I think, an open source project developers must be always "on fire" to
> keep the project unwither. Who can kindle this fire if not you? :)

In every open source project without a strong commercial backing this
isn't possible. Typically a committer "works" for FreeBSD on his spare
time, but sometimes "real life" issues are more important and don't
allow to spend time on FreeBSD, even if there's a strong wish to do so.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler