Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:22:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deadlock problems with 'kill PID' on CURRENT

Hi,

> Are you able to get into DDB using a serial console?  Not getting in via
> syscons is typically a sign that some thread holding Giant is spinning, or
> that Giant has been leaked.  Alternatively, some other lock is leaked, and
> a thread with Giant waits on that lock.  You may be able to get into DDB
> using the serial console as it doesn't require Giant (or you might not).

I was not able to get into DDB over serial console. Sorry for not saying
this exactly. Hardlock.

 But that would be a useful first step.  Are you able to reproduce this
> problem with INVARIANTS and/or WITNESS compiled in, btw?

Since this is a production box I have no chance testing it out. The second
and third box we have are now in production too. On different boxes I was
not able to reproduce it. So this problem seems only to happen on high load
situations.

Martin