Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:36:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: miniboot.iso

On 03-Aug-2003 Scott Long wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:42:49PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>>
>>>OK, the attached (trivial) patch can be used to create the
>>>miniboot.iso.  Its contents is identical to what goes on the
>>>miniinst.iso, except for NOT putting any distributions, docs,
>>>and ports.
>>>
>>>The uncompressed size for i386 is 46M, bzip2(1) compressed size
>>>is 16M, which I think many people can afford.  (The size of the
>>

>> What in the world is on this thing to be 46MB?!?!?!?  All 3 .flp's added
>> together aren't this large.
>>

>>>Jake, a question for you: can this miniboot.iso image be used on
>>>sparc64 like on Alpha (as Wilko demonstrated) instead of the ugly
>>>boot.flp image?
>>

>> Why is making boot.flp "ugly"??
>>

> It looks like the kernel and kmods are being built with '-g'.  When I
> 'strip -x' /boot/kernel, it shinks from 47MB to 21MB.  Taking out
> kernel.debug drops another 5MB.  Can anyone say why we build the release
> bits with '-g'?  I'd sure like to save that extra space on the mini-iso,
> and have that extra space for packages on the full ISO.

We only do this for CURRENT snapshots, not for releases.  For releases
we comment out the 'makeoptions DEBUG=-g' line in GENERIC and then all
the debug stuff automatically goes away.  However, for CURRENT snaps,
if the kernel panics on boot, you already have a matching kernel.debug
to debug with.  We discussed this many moons ago.