Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:42:13 +0100
From:      "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompas-media.nl>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ghostscript won't work.. is it me??? (probably..yes)

Hi all,
AFPL Ghostscript 7.03 has eaten up most of my working week, and a good part
of my weekend by now and I still can't get it to install/build on FreeBSD
4.4-RELEASE.
My ultimate goal is to have a single box (Athlon 1100, 256MB RAM, 40GB disk)
printing lots of Postscript to my Epson Stylus 1520, HP Laserjet 1200, HP
Deskjet 710C and HP Designjet 650C (all connected to Intel Netports except
the Deskjet). My hopes are low for getting the Deskjet to work at all since
it's one those blasted cheap winprinters, but since I can't even get the
sources to build properly I probably should worry about device compatibility
later.
My box has FreeBSD 4.4 installed using the 'Kern-developer' distribution
set, initially without X. Seeing as how the makefile unix-gcc.mak pointed to
X-things I later installed the XFree 3.3.6 packages through FTP usint
/stand/sysinstall. I figured I would only need some files present there and
didn't actually configure a server or desktop GUI. This is a print server
box after all, and I don't need X on that.
I also downloaded 3rd party jpg (v6b), png (libpng 1.2.0) and zlib (1.1.3)
sources which got unpacked into ./gs7.03/jpeg, ./gs7.03/libpng and
./gs7.03/zlib respectively.
Using the unix-gcc.mak makefile located in ../gs7.03/src, which I linked
symbolically to ./gs7.03/makefile, I applied the reccommended alterations
for FreeBSD to the STDLIBS line making it 'STDLIBS=-lc_r -lm' and set the
prefix to /usr/local/ghostscript7. After that I moved, as root, into the
./gs7.03 directory and typed 'make'. The build process started but finished
with cryptic (for me at least) stop-errors. The result from my last 'make'
is in the attached file. It's a gzipped ascii file containing the output
from the 'make' command.
I guess this whole problem has to do with me not knowing what to adjust in
the various makefiles. Make install afterwards exits with 'cannot create
./obj/cc.tr: directory nonexistent' which means absolutely nothing to me
other than what it says.

I'm totally baffled.. please help! I've been looking all over Google for
proper documentation or tips on how to install gs, but came up with nothing
useful. Everything seems to deal with gs after it's been successfully built
and installed! Very frustrating indeed... Any tips would be very welcome
since there is no way other than gs for me to have a single box act as a RIP
to such a diverse bunch of printers.

Bas