Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:14:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst.dehaan@nl.wanadoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging options for tomcat41ctl

On (2003/12/15 13:09), Ernst de Haan wrote:

> > My question, then, is why are you imposing this feature requirement on
> > these ports?  This feature isn't required by other ports that offer
> > services.
>
> I don't remember the exact history of things. All I do know is that people
> may rely on this now. And it's an improvement over su(do).

Well it's certainly not an improvement over sudo; sudo has a rich ACL
language for specifying who can and can't do what.

Given that you have to start Tomcat _without_ daemonctl if you want
debugging support, and given that the primary purpose of daemonctl is to
make it easy for developers to stop and start the service without being
root, I suggest that we reimplement the existing rc.d script without
using daemonctl, and leave daemonctl installed for folks who want it.

Ciao,
Sheldon.