Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2007 02:46:47 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: powerdot

Hello Predrag,

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:56 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I would like to bring to your attention the fact that there is a new=20
> (actually about 3 years old) Latex class of presentations called=20
> powerdot which replaces obsolete  and baggy class of presentations=20
> called prosper  (comprehensive information about all Latex classes of=20
> slide presentations can be found at=20
> http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/bytopic.html#present).
>=20
> Prosper is ported for a very long time, beamer another popular class
> of presentations is ported as well. However powerdot is not ported.
> The advantages of powerdot over beamer are plentiful
> (starting with the fact that manual is about 60 pages vs beamer
> manual 400pages). The only reason that beamer seems to gain more
> popularity is that fact that can be directly compiled by pdflatex
> while powerdot requires tex>dvi>ps>pdf. This is really not a problem
> since most integrated tex environments allow users to set the option
> tex>dvi>ps>pdf for compiling.
>=20
> On the same note I believe that the issue of the porting of TeXLive=20
> (light version of course) should be reconsidered [...]

Nobody thinks that TeXLive shouldn't be ported :) What do you mean by
"light version"?

> not just because of the fact that TeXLive includes powerdot and
> beamer as a standard packages but because teTeX will not exist for to
> much longer (I am not sure if you are familiar with the fact that
> teTeX is winding down activities and that LiveTeX is becoming
> standard *nix distribution).

There was a small discussion related to porting TeXLive to FreeBSD 3-4
days ago, please see the archives; I'm personally interested to see it
ported (and to help), too. AFAIK hrs@ is working on it, but still no
answer from him.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87