Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:32:15 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

>I recently purchased a Pentium-Pro 200 (I found back in September that
>Jordan made mention of "PPRO 200Mhz and new Intel 82440fx
>problems"...which is to a T the system I have), 64MB parity RAM, Adaptec
>2940UW SCSI controller, 2 IBM Ultrastar 4.3GB Ultrawide SCSI drives, a Jaz
>drive, IDE CD-ROM (why for god's sake I did that instead of a SCSI CD-ROM
>I can't figure out ;( etc. for use as a server...and spent all day trying
>to get the darn thing working with 2.1.7 FreeBSD!   If only I'd read the
>archives *before* spending $5000 on a server :(

You should try installing from releng22.FreeBSD.org as that has the latest
version of the aic7xxx driver which should fix most of your problems.  This
latest snap is very similar to what is running on wcarchive and should be
fairly stable for you needs.  If you really want to run a 2.1+ system, you
can always CVSup the src tree once you have something where you can perform
the build as these changes were committed to the 2.1.0 branch as well.

>John-David Childs (JC612)       http://www.denver.net

Looks like you are in my back yard.

--
Justin T. Gibbs