Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:48:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        cgriffiths@dca.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Issues on Sony Z505JE

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>I am running 4.4-stable built as of yesterday.  I have been unable to
>get my sound card to work using either form and also enabling sound
>modules:

>device 		pcm
>device 		csa

[...]

>pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> mem 0xfecf0000-0xfecf7fff irq 9 at device
>9.0 on pci0

>Any help with getting my sound back and working would be greatly
>appreciated.

First, "csa" is not the right device for your audiochip, "ds1" is.
Second, you don't have to compile sound support into the kernel, it
can be dynamically loaded.  All you need is:

snd_ds1_load="YES"

in /boot/loader.conf (it will suck in "pcm" as a dependency).  Works
on my Vaio 505JE (-stable as of Nov 6).

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--