Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:27:32 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, walton@nordicrecords.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trademark transfer (Was: ANSWER: "FreeBSD" registered by Walnut Creek)

At 09:09 PM 9/14/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>One thing that occurs to me is that Brett could offer to do the
>legwork on the trademark transfer.

The transfer of a trademark is actually quite trivial, according
to an attorney friend. He says that there's basically one piece
of paper to file.

>This doesn't satisfy Jordan's issue about the dilligent lawyer,
>though,

It doesn't affect it, really. The lawyer could act exactly as before;
it could even be the same lawyer. The only difference is that FreeBSD,
Inc. would legally have control of the licensing of the mark (which it
does not now; Walnut Creek could overrule or reverse Jordan on any
decision he makes). And the client named on the lawyer's bill would be
FreeBSD, Inc.

Now, if someone other than FreeBSD, Inc. wanted to pay the bill, I'm
sure that the lawyer would be delighted to accept the check. In fact,
other backers (ahem!) would be much more likely to help defend a trademark
that was owned by FreeBSD, Inc. than one that was held by a direct
competitor.

--Brett