Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:16:59 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <as@cmplx.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: touchpad mouse not working

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 19:02:51 +0000, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:21:36AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 20:38:18 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > > Please help get a touchpad mouse working.
> > > I've moused_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
> > > which should be enough.
> > > However, I don't see psm in dmesg.
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> > Check if the built-in touchpad has been deactivated
> > in the CMOS setup (sometimes possible). If it does
> > not appear in dmesg as psm0, check if it _might_ be
> > connected to USB internally, so ums0 should be visitble
> > (and moused should be started fot it automatically).
> > Also check if there is a hardware switch for deactivating
> > the touchpad (probably not, but I don't know what
> > hardware you're using).
>
> There 3 options in BIOS: (1) no touchpad, (2) PS2 mouse
> and (3) Touchpad. I tried all of them - no luck.

That is really strange. At least a corresponding driver entry
should appear, even if the device itself is "dead" (no reaction
when being touched).

> No psm or ums.

This sounds really strange...

On my Lenovo R61i laptop, the touchpad and the TrackPoint
(the "nub") are conbined into the same device, i. e., they
usually act in parallel. They then appear as _one_ device:
a PS/2 mouse.

Example from dmesg:

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0		<---
psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]				<---
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0	<---

The CMOS setup allows the following configuration that can
disable the stupid touchpad, but leave the TrackPoint:

TrackPoint	[ Automatic* / Disabled ]
Touch Pad	[ Automatic / Disabled* ]

Now the one psm0 device only represents the TrackPoint, while
the touchpad can serve as a coffee cup warmer. :-)

> This is my pciconf -lv.
> Does it contain any hints?

No. You should check:

	# dmesg | grep psm

and

	# dmesg | grep ums

or

	# usbconfig list

to check for USB device entries explicitely (because modern
laptops sometimes utilize an "internal USB mouse" for the
touchpad rather than a PS/2-style device).

No matter how the manufacturer implemented the touchpad
device, it should appear in dmesg.

By the way, is there a /boot/kernel/acpi_<something>.ko
related to your hardware? If yes, try to load it - it might
enable "hidden hardware" that won't show up normally.

Also check if you have a "Synaptics Touchpad":

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#idp59957608

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-use-synaptics-driver-for-better-touchpad-features.54872/

Again, this assumes that some device entry is already present
for the touchpad (usually psm).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany