Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:56:28 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can FreeBSD learn from Mac OS X?

On 08/29/02 01:35 PM, "Rich Morin" <rdm@cfcl.com> wrote:

> Like many others on this list, I am distressed by the trolling and
> flamage I've been seeing recently.  OTOH, I think there are a few
> real issues that merit discussion, hidden in the noise.
>
> Specifically, I am concerned that FreeBSD is in danger of becoming
> marginalized by Linux on one side and Mac OS X on the other.  As a
> happy FreeBSD user for the last several years, I'm not enthralled
> by this prospect.

I am not sure I see it as being marginalized.  I think the userbase has
grown recently.

> One problem is that nobody has taken on the role of supporting
> FreeBSD as a production system.  The current (eg, CVS) machinery
> works fine for folks who like to fiddle with the source code, but
> it is ill-suited for folks, like me, who simply want a reliable
> system and minimal maintenance headaches.

FreeBSD is fine as a production system.  It is not perfect but it is getting
better.  Most tasks on FreeBSD from a a maintenance perspective are minimal.
The various periodic scripts save me loads of time as does the ports system.
CVSUP is a good way of updating, though I agree it is time consuming to do.

> The Mac OS X system of binary updates, while imperfect, gives me bug
> fixes for security and other critical issues, without requiring me
> to get involved with maintaining a source tree, doing builds, etc.

I agree here, FreeBSD would benefit from a binary update system, similar to
OSX's.  If FreeBSD could mimic this both the command line and the gui for
whoever wants to use either that would be great.  I wish I had the technical
expertise to do so :).  I am working on that heh.

> FreeBSD has very good engineering.  If it had the right "productizing",
> it might well be able to steal some folks from the Linux camp.  I'd
> like to see this happen, but I don't see anyone taking on the task.  In
> fact, I don't even see a separate mailing list for freebsd-release!

I think productizing has made things worse for Linux actually.  Linux needs
to decide what it wants to be.  The conflicts and the hype hurt more than
help (but I digress).

> More generally, I'd like the FreeBSD community to consider the question
> of how it should respond to the advent of Mac OS X.  It's clear that
> a lot of techies are getting interested in OSX; half of the laptops
> at the recent OSCON and USENIX were running it.  Some of these folks
> were already BSD fans; others may come from the Linux camp, etc.

Well I have a tiBook and I love it.  FreeBSD is part of OS X on some levels
so it has some comfortable knobs.  That said I still use FreeBSD on the
server end and do not see me changing that.   OS X server I cannot comment
on though the hardware does look pretty heh.

> If you're using OSX on your Macs, it may make sense to use FreeBSD on your
> Intel boxes, to get the same command set, etc.  How can we encourage this?
> What issues (interoperability, porting, ...) need to be addressed to make
> FreeBSD the "right choice" for this sort of mixed environment?

I think porting of apps would be a big thing.  As is the ability to work
well with os x.  this should not be to hard I would think considering they
share some of the same base.

> Finally, should the FreeBSD community try to work with the Darwin folks?
> The kernel aside, Intel-based Darwin is a pretty vanilla FreeBSD system.
> Shouldn't we be doing some sort of outreach?

I thought there was some back and forth.  The Darwin lists often reference
FreeBSD for things.  I am not sure what is official but there is some back
and forth.  Also remember it is in apples best interests to keep FreeBSD
going at least in the short term.  I do not think apple would try and push
FreeBSD out of the market.  Overall though what it is is proof that unix can
be successful given the right backing.  Imagine if a company like apple
decided to push pure FreeBSD systems.

--Larry