Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 2015 04:02:49 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building TB from source code

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 19:50:29 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> On 07/10/2015 04:57 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > jd1008 <jd1008@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Has anyone been successful in building it from source code?
> >> Last time I tried, build failed because it required versions
> >> of packages that were of much older vintage than what was installed.
> >> Too many for me to recall.
> >>
> >> Need helpful hints, how-to's to accomplish this.
> > Use the port? I always build it through the port.
> >
> >> I posted the same question to Fedora list and it has been
> >> so totally ignored, that I find it very interesting.
> > Does Fedora have a ports system?
> >
> I have tried to download all the sources from mozilla.

Because that's not how you typically build software on FreeBSD.
TB is in the ports collection. The easiest way is to update
/usr/ports and build from there. In case it doesn't build (which
can happen), wait some time and update /usr/ports again. In
many cases, this solves the problem. :-)

> I followed all the steps of building.

Are those instructions for FreeBSD or for Linux?

> At every step I would get an error that certain versions of some
> package(s) was/were needed; and such versions were too darned
> old for me to burden my machine with, as my machine had much
> more recent versions.

Probably because what you've downloaded is not a source package
suitable for FreeBSD.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany