Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:07:45 +0100
From:      Terje Thoegersen <Terje.Thogersen@hda.hydro.com>
To:        bsd@jaguar.cris.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a SCSI HD Help!

> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 10:34:52 +0000 ()
> Sender: owner-questions@freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I've spent a few hours searching for documentation on how to add a second new
> SCSI HD to my system.  I assume I need to use (FreeBSD)fdisk/disklabel and
> newfs.  This will be my second SCSI HD on the system, so I am attempting
> to perform operations on /dev/sd1 and /dev/rsd1 and /dev/rsd1c (can anyone
> clarify this?), and I feel I'm running through fdisk with moderate success,
> but get ioctl errors from newfs (GDINFO: Invalid argument) (and more).
>
> Is there any clear documentation on how to do this, or a program that makes
> it easier?  I've RTFM'ed in /usr/share/ and www.freebsd.org, and haven't
> found anything really helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> R. Beerman

Hmm.. I have a feeling this is 'unsupported' to say the least, but
after mucking around with fdisk and disklabel, and still getting
errors from newfs, I wound up doing

	<change to console 0>
	login as root
	cd /stand
	./sysinstall

now do "partition" (or whatever the first selection is)
After defining everything on the right disk, hit "w" to go into wizard
mode. From here, do "write".
Then repeat with "label" (or whatever the second selection is).
Exit, and newfs

No warranties, but this worked for me when adding the 4th SCSI disk.

 -Terje
Terje Thoegersen, Systems Consultant | terje.thogersen@hda.hydro.com
Norsk Hydro a.s, Hydro Data	     | Tel   : +47 2273 9298
P.O.Box 200, 			     | Fax   : +47 2273 9614
1321 Stabekk, Norway    	     | Pager :     966 32801