Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:04:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anders Jensen <anders.jensen@pricom.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and IBM X31.

On 07-Nov-2003 Anders Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that you guys might have answered this question many times before. But I'm quite curious
> on this topic, and I'd like your comments on it.
>
> For two months ago I bought this new IBM Thinkpad X31. It's a nice, lightweight laptop, but
> unfortunately it's running Windows XP. I'm getting tired of this operating system sucking up all
> my system resources. So I'm planning to install FreeBSD on it.
>
> Unfortately, I'm not sure wether the Pentium M-chip and the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B wlan
> nic will run. And how is X11-support, disk-support (DMA), firewire, USB etc?

You probably want to ask on mobile@ as that is where all the laptop
users hang out.  The CPU should be fine as should DMA for disk,
firewire, and USB.  USB2 is only supported in 5.x, which is not
a -stable release yet.  The X11 support depends on if your video
card is supported by XFree86.  I'm not sure about the wireless card
or suspend/resume type stuff.  For that I'd recommend asking the
mobile@ list.