Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:30:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy McMillan <aphor@228-121.ppp.ripco.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newly introduced repeatable SMP hang in STABLE/3.3-RC

Isn't this *wedged* instead of *hung*?
(Re: info jargon)

 and what *exactly* is wedged/hung? I'm trying to get a better idea about
how the SMP kernel works (ie. on what levels SMP code enters the picture).

Could this be that one kernel thread is wedged in a state where it has a
lock on a resource, but it can still do low level functions like handle
ICMP? Maybe the other thread hung, and thus cannot release the lock on
whatever resource the working (ICMP reachable kernel thread) needs to
resume process managment services? What kernel resource do threads take
turns locking?

---
PLEASE NOTICE: THERE MAY BE NOSPAM IN THE HEADERS WHEN YOU HIT "REPLY"!!!
Jeremy McMillan <aphor at  ripco.com> | Ask for PGP-2.6.2 or 5.0i
Chicago FreeBSD Users Group
http://pages.ripco.com/~aphor/ChiFUG.html