Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:10:43 -0600
From:      Noel <noeldude@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RSYNC changes file name
References:  <9aaa35912b122e88e667e7516ba6a865.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <20190129204033.7312742f.freebsd@edvax.de> <10a14c28507feee71572a2573d319fc3.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <20190129214351.2f32c04c.freebsd@edvax.de> <18bd6c1326e011634c5b548e5cfd94aa.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca> <20190129222126.d0449659.freebsd@edvax.de> <e432756c72f160c62582a70a617da288.squirrel@webmail.harte-lyne.ca>

On 1/29/2019 3:35 PM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Tue, January 29, 2019 16:21, Polytropon wrote:

>>> The resulting archives must be readable on a windows OS.  It is a
>>> portable backup which may have to be used in situations where any
>>> form
>>> of *nix will not be available to me.
>> You say, "the archives", but it seems you're copying
>> bare files. A convenient to deal with this problem is
>> to "encapsulate" the whole thing in a "| tar" pipe.
>> There are versions of the tar program available even
>> for "Windows". Inside a tar archive, a file "12345."
>> can be stored, while the archive itself can have a
>> name that does not violate FAT rules.
>>
>> Of course, this introduces another problem: Can you
>> make sure that the system you'll be using will be
>> able to use tar? It's not for the compression (which
>> you _could_ use), just for the "encapsulation".
>> But if you just need something to _store_ the file,
>> not to _process_ it, it could be an option for you.
>> I don't know about the specific scenarios you're
>> preparing for, but as you talked about IMAP data
>> in maildir format, I can imagine that you just could
>> transfer a tar file from the "Windows" system to the
>> actual IMAP server (for data restore), extract it
>> _there_ - which will surely be some kind of UNIX
>> system (FreeBSD, any BSD, Linux), and every UNIX
>> system has a tar implementation.
>>
>> Just a thought.

>> not allow the filenames to stay the same.
>>
> I am using the word archives in its ordinary sense, a collection of
> records.  I am using the word record in its ordinary sense as well,
> something that is preserved, not as a entry in a data file.  I am not
> referring to any specific file format or application software.
>
> The purpose of the USB key archives is to allow me to search for
> specific files, generally UFT8 encoded, using the native file system
> tools on whatever host I have access to.  I do this on a regular
> basis.  Encapsulating the data in a file format that depends upon
> access to a specific application defeats the purpose.

That's perfectly fine, as long as you're aware of the limitations
when moving between file systems that have different filename rules.

Also be aware that ms-dos type filesystems silently-internally
case-fold names, so that "FOO" and "Foo" are the same file.  This
can lead to data loss by unintentionally overwriting a file.

rsync can't warn of you the name munging since rsync asks the
filesystem to write file "foo." and the filesystem says, "ok,
sure"...  so no error to report.

If this is a regular thing, you would be well served to insure all
the files you're saving conform to ms-dos name rules.