Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:29:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   make world [reinstall, actually] weirdness

Folks,

I've used this approach with good success several times in the past:

	on machine 1: make world
	on machine 2: nfs mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from machine 1
		      cd /usr/src     # nfs mount point from mac. 1
		      make reinstall

Worked like a charm for me for a build of RELENG_2_2 just two weeks ago.
I cvsup'd just yesterday and did a make world on machine 1 with no
trouble.  I then tried to do the make reinstall on machine 2 and
encountered a problem when it processes the contents of /usr/src/lib:

===> lib/libalias
install -C -o bin -g bin -m 444 /usr/bigness/src/lib/libalias/alias.h
/usr/include
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libalias.a /usr/lib
install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444   libalias_p.a /usr/lib
install: libalias_p.a: No such file or directory
*** Error code 71

Stop.

Not to be deterred, I did this (still on machine 2):

	cd /usr/src/lib/libalias
	make				# chews for a moment
	make intall			# no errors!
	cd ../..
	make reinstall			# let's try again

It gets past the install of lib/libalias, but as it next tries to work on
lib/libc it dies with a similar error, in this case:

install: libc_p.a: No such file or directory

This time, however, my above trick doesn't work.  A make in the lib/libc
directory produces this many times repeated:

"/usr/bigness/src/lib/libc/../libc//Makefile.inc", line 16: Missing
dependency operator
"/usr/bigness/src/lib/libc/../libc//Makefile.inc", line 16: Too many
nested if's. 30 max.

Am I doing something wrong or is something unhappily broken?  The make
reinstall feature is a _very_ helpful thing for those of us with multiple
boxes.

Thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx