Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:03:36 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, Freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Other ports (Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody)

Martin Cracauer stands accused of saying:

> >I've been studying the NetBSD code for a little while now, and it
> >strikes me just how much of the VM seems to be replicated from one
> >architecture to the next.  Is this really necessary?  How much of
> >the FreeBSD VM is actually x86-specific, and how much could
> >reasonably be moved out and reused by other architectures?
>
> Why do you claim netBSD rewrote its VM for each architecture. At least
> the parts affecting my bechmarks are quite similar in each :-)

Firstly, it's worth noting that whilst I have a basic grip on the
principles behind VM implementations, I make no claims about
understanding or being able to read implementations 8(

My impressions, taken from reading various NetBSD architecture
VM bits (most notably arc, pmax and some sun3) was that there was a
lot of duplication of functionality in the pmap module.

It may also be that, without any decent documentation on what this
module is supposed to achieve, that I am failing to notice subtle
architecture-specific differences.

> NetBSD reorganised major kernel parts several times, causing driver
> developers to cry. They claim it is needed to make live for other
> platforms easier respectivly port maintainers would start to maintain
> their own slightly modified versions of kernel parts, thus leading to
> maintainance nightmares.

I understand entirely the desire to remove device drivers for
non-architecture-specific devices from any architectural association;
with NetBSD there are still a lot of drivers that have machine-specific
assumptions that haven't been migrated, but I presume this is proceeding.
(It was of particular interest to me, as the Mips systems I have are BE
 VME systems, and it would be nice to instantly win all the sun3 VME
 drivers.)

> If FreeBSD is going to be ported to other architectures, I expect the
> need for a lot of reorganization/generalization in the FreeBSD kernel
> to arise. Otherwise, other ports than the main (x86) will have a code
> base with a full kernel source of their own (as does the SMP kernel
> for now).

This is a given, and regardless of which additional architecture(s)
FreeBSD might be ported to discussion on what shape these changes might
take is a primary concern.  With the relatively long road to 3.0
ahead of us, now would be an excellent time to contemplate this.

In particular, some input from the CVS monsters^H^H^H^H^H^H^Heisters
as to the sorts of chaos that this might cause would be useful in
colouring the debate.