Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 2004 03:57:31 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.3 + dhclient:  bpf needed in kernel config?

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 08:48:50PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:57:16PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> >
> >>I have left out bpf in the kernel config and
> >>all of a sudden dhclient (for DHCP) exits with an
> >>error message, complaining that bpf is not there?
> >>
> >>Since when (and why) is bpf needed by /sbin/dhclient?
> >

> >bpf has always been required to run dhclient.  We'd love to see that
> >requirement go away, but we need to modify he network stack to allow
> >programs to bind to an interface with a 0.0.0.0 address and no one has
> >done so yet.
>=20
> Aha. So I added bpf to my kernel config, recompiled and
> installed everything again.
>=20
> Yesterday this PC has been upgraded from 4.10 to most
> recent 5.3. I have in /etc/rc.conf
>=20
>    ifconfig_rl0=3D"DHCP"
>=20
> which worked jsut fine with 4.10, but seems to misserably
> fail with 5.3.
>=20
> Dhclient binds rl0 to 192.168.1.22 all the time, which
> seems to be a kind of default for a failing dhclient.
>=20
> Is something else, unusual, needed in 5.3, that is critical
> to dhclient?

dhclient works with GENERIC and I believe all you need is bpf.

There is no default address for dhclient so that's not your problem.
Even if there were a default it would almost certaintly be in the
Microsoft autoconfig address space which is not part of the 192.168/16
network.  It is possiable you are using an unexpired prior lease in
/var/db/dhclient.leases.  I'd tend to suspect your dhcp server or a NIC
driver bug.

-- Brooks

--=20

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr