Date:      Wed, 19 May 2010 15:20:43 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@Millions.Ca>
To:        Damian Gerow <dgerow@afflictions.org>
Cc:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenJDK6 not building

On 05/19/10 14:50, Damian Gerow wrote:
> Stacy Millions wrote:
> : On 05/19/10 01:15, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> :
> :>  java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
> :>  	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
> :>  	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:310)
> :
> : I have seen that before... Have you enabled IPv6 support? Have you set
> : the system property java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true? Perhaps setting the
> : environment variable JAVAVM_OPTS thusly will help
> : JAVAVM_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"
>
> There are no AAAA records for jaxp.dev.java.net, so preferring v4 won't help
> much.

AAAA records are not part of the issue... if you want a quick and dirty
test, try this

1. download http://javassh.org/download/jta26.jar this is a java/swing
telnet client

2. Run
   java -jar jta26.jar <someipaddress>
and you get:
   Socket: can't connect: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument

3. Run
   java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar jta26.jar <someipaddress>
and it works (assuming there is a telnet server there to connect to)

At least that is how things behave for me.

-stacy