Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:52:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   some bits of help still needed (with jakarta)

I ran the bootstrap.sh and build.sh in /usr/local/jakarta-ant
and the build.sh in /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat.

Now what? Running the startup shells script in ../build/jakarta
gives me an exception saying that address already in use. Pointing to
the fact that probably my apache server is running in the
apache/jserv configuration.

I couldn't find any direct installation instructions to configure
apache though www.apache.org/jakarta has a vast FAQ on this kind
of issues but it's hard to find the starting point.

Edward (Wolpert) you wrote:

"First, you need to modify the http.conf file in /usr/local/etc/apache as
it stipulates in the installation directions for tomcat. (Check the website)
it's actually easy. They have 'default' instructions, and check the userguide
as well for more complete information)"

I'm totally lost here. Cannot find the information you are
referring. Sorry.

Also, I'm reading that tomcat doesn't reload altered servlets automatically.
I think apache/jserv does it. And I think it is an essential feature when one
is developing servlets. Without this feature, is it really worth
dealing with tomcat?

Help! I need to get a working Servlet 2.<at least 1> API
by tomorrow.

Spent the whole day with downloading/compiling/installing tomcat now
and to step further with development.

S.O.S.