Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:56:33 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Revisitted.. Threads goals.?

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 10:45:28PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> ---- possible userland implementation goals-----
>
> 1/  A libpthread that can be linked with libc.
>
> 2/  Libc needs to change so that library functions and system calls
>     used internal to the library do not use the externally visible
>     cancellable equivalents.

I have some thoughts about what it takes to separate the uthread
code from libc, which facitlitates point 1 above, and which also
makes it easier to make libc thread safe for alternative pthreads
implementations (eg. linuxthreads).

Also, I have some thoughts about how to make libc (and/or libc_r)
more thread safe.

I'd be happy to jot these down over the next few days and send them
out, if anyone is interested.  But maybe someone has already done this
or is in the process of doing it.  If so, let me know and I won't
duplicate the work.  And, if you're not interested, don't say anything.
I'll take no responses to this offer as "no interest". :)

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450