Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 22:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: word processor

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Richard Chang wrote:

> > There's a couple.  the 'doc' application from the 'iv' port does it, but
> > I don't know that I'd recommend it, because iv is _huge_ (unless you need
> > a neat C++ graphics/gui library) the size isn't justified.  If you have
> > tex installed (say from the ports teTeX distribution) then noname (yeah,
> > it's called noname) does print postscript, and it's WYSIWYG.  noname
> > requires Motif, but there's a statically compiled version on
> > wcarchive.cdrom.com, in pub/FreeBSD/incoming.
>
> 	Hmmm, is noname a Word Processor and is there anyway to do
> calligraphy type fonts?

I dunno.  Noname is _very_ linked to TeX.  It isn't within light years of
a real word processor, but it's useable.  On the other hand, I do most of
my writing using groff, so maybe you're asking the wrong type of person.

Honestly, you ought to go give it a try.  It's the best I've seen, of
free software, so that should give you an idea of what kind of stuff is
out there.

The doc application (from Interviews) is nearly TeX, with just enough
changes to make it incompatible (why?).  A long while back I tried to use
Andrew, but it was so incredibly large, and not any more friendly.  It
worked on something like rich text format.  Making that port was a real
excedrin headache, and it was _enormous_.

> Richard

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.